Friday, October 16, 2009

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful...." (well, not really!)

But, it is kinda fitting as we are in the frightful season, AND...since I heard this might be the coldest winter Tulsa's had for over 100 years, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!"
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though, guys and ghouls, because it's not even the end of October yet and there are lots of things going on this weekend, between Halloween, and Sweetest Day (Saturday the 17th, for those romantic minded sweethearts out there!)
In fact, because there are soooooo many Halloween goings on, from pumpkin patches to party/costume shopping to haunted houses, I've devoted an entire post to all of that good stuff!
Meanwhile, here's your sneak peek at what non-scary things lie waiting for you around the corner this weekend:

Friday
Chili on the Square @ Bartlett Square, 5th & Main St., 11am-1pm. Benefitting BlendedLove.Org,
for only $5 you get chili and live music, with a special appearance by Mrs. Oklahoma.  What better way to spend your Friday lunch hour?


Saturday
Pancake Breakfast & Fall Bike Show - From 9-11am, the Brookside Lion's Club will be serving up free pancakes & sausage, followed by the Bike Show, where you can enter your motorcycle to be eligible for $1500 in prizes and trophies! Celebrating 95 years of Harley in Oklahoma, the event will be held at the Myers-Duren Harley-Davidson at 4848 S. Peoria, Brookside.  I've gotta go to this, it's actually being held at the same time as Daytona's Biketoberfest.  Daytona Beach, (where I lived before I became a Tulsan!), is famous for quite a few things: spring break, the Indy 500 and NASCAR, not to mention the annual Bike Week in February, and Biketoberfest.  Even though I'm now out here in Tulsa, and no longer own my sweet Ninja, I have really great memories of both bike events (as well as Daytona), that I'll save for sharing in a future post.  Let me just say that there's nothing like driving down Main Street, with thousands of onlookers, party-goers and fellow bikers cheering you on!  It's like YOU are the Parade!!!  But I'll be there in spirit this weekend as I celebrate locally!    :)

The Sea of Orange takes Oklahoma by storm Saturday led by none other than OSU alumni Garth Brooks as he Grand Marshals, (along with outstanding ball players Barry Sanders and Robin Ventura), the OSU Homecoming parade.  Being from Bulls Country and alumni of USF myself, I know what a big deal these homecomings and the subsequent games usually are, and even though a lot of friends and people I know are OSU grads, shamefully I have not been to a Cowboy game yet!  I must find out what all this "Go Pokes!" is about!!  The parade will be held in Downtown Stillwater of course, at the corner of Main and 12th, starting at 2pm.  It will even be simulcast online!  Then OSU takes on Missouri starting at 8:15pm, which will not only be broadcast on ESPN2, but there are plenty of 'watch parties' going on all over as well; just check out the current issue of Urban Tulsa Weekly!
Hopefully the Cowboys will follow up the Sooners' earlier game win in Texas!!  I'm excited already!!!

Fall Wine Festival - Another wine fest this weekend, this one is at Roberdes Family Vineyards & Winery, 20505 E. 460 Road in Claremore.  Featuring wine from four local wineries, food & live music.  For more info call (918) 342-1038.  I did mention that today is Sweetest Day, didn't I?  ; )

Looks like Saturday is also going to the dogs!  (sorry, couldn't resist!)
Dogtoberfest - Sat., 11am-5pm, at the Village Vet Animal Clinic, 2026 W. Houston St., Broken Arrow.  There will be a pet costume contest, pet & owner look-alike contest, visit from Safari Joe's, and activities for the kids at this free event.
Paws in the Park - RiverWalk Crossing in Jenks, 9am-noon. On the other end of town, there's going to be more pet costume contests, entertainment by Radio Disney, works of art, pet supplies and more, for this benefit for the Humane Society of Tulsa.
I'm an animal lover, but I currently have a cat...so I'm anxiously waiting for the feline events to come to town! In all fairness, we all know how much our Tulsa kitties want to participate in costume contests!  And how much would they love a "cat park"?!  (Although Woodward  is pretty nice, considering it's currently chock full of squirrels for the hunting!)  Sigh, in the meantime I suppose I can attempt to bring Mischief along to one of these events.  I don't even need to dress her up in a costume; I'm sure she'll turn plenty of (canine) heads!!  Hmm...on second thought, that might not be a good idea!  :D

For more ideas on stuff to do this weekend, see my special Halloween post!
Hope to see you around T-Town!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment